Dumbbell Shoulder Press
The dumbbell shoulder press is one of my favorite exercises. It is a great full-development exercise for the deltoids, hitting all three heads. You can go heavy with this exercise and build serious mass, or you can go light and rehab and injury or focus on the rotator cuff.
Primary Muscles Used
Dumbbell Shoulder Press Instructions
Sit upright and keep the back straight. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, at the shoulders, with an overhand grip. Thumbs are on the inside and knuckles face up.
- Maintain a very tight core throughout the entire movement.
- Exhale as you press the weights above the head in a controlled motion.
- Pause briefly at the top of the motion, gently bringing the dumbbells together at the top.
- Inhale and return the dumbbells to the shoulders.
Benefits of the Dumbbell Shoulder Press
- This exercise works the deltoid muscle of the shoulder. In addition to increasing shoulder strength, the seated dumbbell overhead press engages the core for stability throughout the movement.
- Performing this move also helps identify whether you have an imbalance in shoulder strength. If one side is easier, or you can do more, well then, you have a muscle imbalance. Continuing to perform this exercise will help eliminate those imbalances.
- In daily life, you may need to place objects on shelves, change a light bulb, or even blow dry your hair. This exercise helps build the strength in your shoulders you need to do these types of tasks safely.
- Having strong shoulders help the stabilization of your upper back, helping with posture and every day tasks.
If you are ready to maximize your results, and really get the most benefit out of each and every machine inside our club, give us a call at 770-751-1837 or call Tim Shevlin directly at 470-604-0038 to set up your free session!
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.