Lower Back Extension
The lower back extension is the exercise that allowed me to avoid back surgery for the past 20 years. The lower back extension is a fantastic exercise for strengthening the lower back, it is also a great exercise for working the glutes and hamstrings as well. A slight modification in your focus allows you to change the primary focus of the exercise.
Primary Muscles Used
Lower Back Extension Instructions
- Adjust the thigh pad so the top of the pad is touching the upper part of your thigh, but not all the way to the hip joint.
- Put your feet on the foot rests and bring the back of your ankle back until it is touching the lower leg rest.
- Keep your stomach tight and lean forward so your thighs are resting on the upper leg pad.
- Keep your back straight and with your hands in front of you or resting on the hand rests.
- In the beginning you can keep your hands on the hand rests for security, but you are going to want to move them in front of you as soon as comfortable.
- Slowly lower your torso down, you will feel a slight stretch in your hamstrings and lower back. Do not stretch to the point of discomfort.
- Slowly raise your body back up until your body is in a straight position.
Benefits of the Lower Back Extension
- This exercise is awesome for developing glutes, hamstrings, and lower back.
- You can change the difficulty of this exercise simply by moving your hand position. With your hands close to your stomach and chest the exercise will be a little easier, if you put your hands out in front of your body like Superman, it will be more difficult.
- A strong lower back is paramount to overall health and strength.
- By strengthening your lower back you will decrease the risk of spinal injury.
- This exercise does not put direct pressure right on your spine, decreasing pressure on the disc.
If you are ready to maximize your results, and really get the most benefit out of each and every machine inside our club, give us a call at 770-751-1837 or call Tim Shevlin directly at 470-604-0038 to set up your free session!
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.