Overhand Rope Pull
The overhand rope pull is a great exercise for overall posture. Performing this exercise works your body from foot to head and everything in between. The overhand rope pull requires your stand up strait, with a tight core and shoulders pulled back, from there you are working the muscles that will keep you in that great posture. This is a great exercise for everyone.
Primary Muscles Used
Overhand Rope Pull Instructions
- Set up a cable pulley machine so the pulley system is positioned at upper chest level.
- Use the rope attachment that features two hand-holds for this exercise.
- Reach forward and grasp the handles with both hands with your palms facing down.
- Step back until your arms are fully extended, then engage your core and lean back slightly. Pull the rope toward you just enough to start lifting the weight from the stack, then engage your shoulders, rolling them back to create good posture—you don't want your shoulders hunching or rolling forward. This is your starting position.
- Pull the handles of the attachment straight toward your neck. Keep your palms facing down as your elbows flare outward toward the sides, engaging the rear delts.
- Reverse the movement and slowly extend your arms without allowing your shoulders or chest to roll forward as you extend.
- Make sure to maintain good posture throughout the exercise.
Benefits of the Overhand Rope Pull
- Overhand Rope Pulls are a great exercise for the rear deltoids, trapezius, and upper back muscles. Strong shoulders are very important for everyday activities of lifting, pressing, pulling, and rotating your arms.
- The deltoids are the power muscle group of the shoulders and do the bulk of the work when it comes to lifting your arms up and all actions that require raising your hands over your head.
- Anterior and lateral delts are often more worked and as a result you can develop an imbalance without rear delt development. This can give you poor posture and a hunched over look. As a result, it is important to incorporate exercises into your routine that target the rear delts, and overhand rope pulls happen to be a great option.
If you are ready to maximize your results, and really get the most benefit out of each and every machine inside our club, give us a call at 770-751-1837 or call Tim Shevlin directly at 470-604-0038 to set up your free session!
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.