Star Trac Leg Extension
The leg extension is a wonderful exercise for the quadriceps. When done properly this exercise can help knee pain, and help support a weak joint. This is also a great exercise for warming up the quad muscles and the knee joint as well as finishing up your leg workout. This is not a mass builder, but a great isolation exercise.
Primary Muscles Used
Leg Extension Instructions
- Adjust the back setting so when you sit down your knees are in direct alignment with the pivot point of the machine, that way all the movements are even.
- After adjusting the back rest, adjust the shin pad so it comes into contact with you just above the ankle.
- Sit up straight on the leg extension machine – imagine you have a seat belt pulling your waist into the seat.
- Gently press your shins into the pad, and pull your toes back to you.
- Hold the side bars.
- Ensuring that you are using your quads to power the movement, rather than kicking up with your feet, extend your legs straight out in front of you.
- Then slowly lower them back to the starting position.
Tim's list of benefits for the Star Trac Leg Extension
- Leg extensions are a great exercise in strengthening the patellar ligament and quadriceps attachment for the knee.
- A machine-assisted training, it is a very good option for exercise beginners and you don't need to worry as much about form and posture.
- It is also a good finisher exercise, as it is an isolation exercise for quadriceps that can be performed after compound exercises like squats or dead lifts.
- You can focus on target muscles more selectively. While doing squats, you hit a lot of muscles at once and expend a lot of energy. With leg extensions, you focus just on quads.
- There is a common belief that leg extensions can be harmful for your knees. But in my opinion, it is a good exercise for people with knee problems as they are performed while seated, reducing the impact on the knee. However, it is advisable to reduce the weight load and focus on the squeeze instead. The physics of this exercise maintain that it is actually pulling the joint apart, so that being stated, go light, focus on the squeeze, and if you feel pain in the joint...STOP!
If you are ready to maximize your results, and really get the most benefit out of each and every machine inside our club, give us a call at 770-751-1837 or call Tim Shevlin directly at 470-604-0038 to set up your free session!
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.