Nautilus Lower Back Extension
The lower back extension machine is a great way to safely strengthen the muscles of your lower back. By locking yourself into this machine, you are eliminating the twisting motion that can seriously injure your lower back. This is a safe way to keep your body strong and pain free.
Primary Muscles Used
Lower Back Extension Instructions
- Sit on the seat and position the upper roller against your upper back.
- Select a low weight that provides a light to medium resistance. You don't want to load this exercise too heavy.
- Adjust the foot position so your knees are at a 90 degree angle.
- Hold onto the handlebars on each side of the machine.
- Tense your abs and slowly push back against the pad until your back is extended, and there is a slight arch in your lower back.
- Make sure you keep your head in line with the rest of your body, don't look up or down, but straight forward with your body.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
- Monitor how your back is responding. If you feel pain stop right away, this exercise might not be suitable for your back.
Benefits of the Nautilus Lower Back Extension
- Performing the Nautilus lower back extension exercise will increase your ability to coordinate movement through your lower back. Other improvements include a stronger back and a back that has more endurance. Overall, these positives lead to better overall back posture, important for the prevention of back injury.
- Being in a fixed position on the machine you take away the risk for rotation, thus eliminating an injury risk.
- The lower back extension exercise will help strengthen your lower back so you will be able to move to more difficult lower back exercises like the cable deadlift exercise.
- As someone who has suffered from lower back pain for over 20 years, I understand just how important having a strong lower back can be. Doing exercises like the lower back extension, I have decreased pain and avoided surgery. I will continue to do these exercises to keep my back strong. Will you?
If you are ready to maximize your results, and really get the most benefit out of each and every machine inside our club, give us a call at 770-751-1837 or call Tim Shevlin directly at 470-604-0038 to set up your free session!
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.