Precor Overhand Row
The Precor overhand row is a great exercise for developing strength and stability in the upper back. When you have your elbows up higher and use and overhand grip the focus of the exercise goes to your upper back from rear delt to rear delt and everything in between. This is one of my favorite exercises for helping posture, as it pulls the shoulders back and up when your muscle has strengthened.
Primary Muscles Used
Precor Overhand Row Instructions
- Set the chest pad so when you sit down you have to stretch forward a little to grab the handles.
- Adjust the seat setting so the top of the chest pad hits your upper to middle chest.
- Grab the handles on top with an overhand grip, pull them back a little bit, and roll your shoulders down and back, this is your starting position.
- Gently rest your chest on the chest pad, you want just gentle pressure, not your full weight pressed against it.
- Tighten your stomach.
- Slowly pull the handles back, keeping your elbows up high.
- Your elbows should be just a little lower than your shoulders.
- When the handles are as far back as you can get them, squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Slowly return to the starting position.
Tim's list of benefits for the Precor Overhand Row
- By letting the pad take some of the weight from the machine the chest pad can alleviate the pressure on your lower back.
- The chest pad allows you to slowly put more and more stress on your lower back as it gets stronger. You can begin with your chest fully pressed on the pad, and slowly with time get to the point where your chest is barely touching the pad.
- Because the Precor seated row is on a fixed track, and there is a supporting chest pad, you don't need to worry too much about form.
- The overhand grip allows for your elbows to come back high, this works the muscles of your upper back mainly and will really help with bad posture.
- By modifying your grip you change the focus area of this exercise. With this grip you are really working your upper back and rear delts, with the neutral grip the focus is more on the middle of the back.
- You can do dropsets easily on this machine since it is pin loaded and on a set track.
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.