The stabilized squat is exactly that, a squat while holding onto the cables of a FreeMotion Dual Cable Cross as a stabilizer. I have had countless clients come to me with knee pain, stating they can not squat, and after introducing them to this exercise, they can squat without pain.
Primary Muscles Used
Stabilized Squat Instructions
- Set cable attachment to a position about shoulder height, and put the pin to include the full weight stack. This will act as an anchor for you to lean back against and support your body weight.
- Grab the handles and stand with your body facing the anchor point.
- Step back until all slack is removed from the cables.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, toes facing forward, and lean back slightly.
- Keep your core tight, neutral spine, and arms fully extended in front of you.
- Lower down into a squat as if sitting in a low chair, your knees should remain behind your toes.
- Push through the heels to standing position.
Benefits of the Stabilized Squat
- When you strengthen the muscles in your lower body, you’re better able to execute full-body movements with correct form, balance, mobility, and posture.
- Calorie burning is often equated with aerobic exercises such as running or cycling. But performing high-intensity, compound movements like the squat can also burn a lot of calories and raise your metabolism.
- From getting out of bed, to sitting down in a chair, your glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, adductors, hip flexors, and calves are responsible for almost every move you make.
- Having strong core muscles can make everyday movements like turning, bending, and even standing easier. Not only that, but a strong core can improve your balance, ease pain in your low back, and also make it easier to maintain good posture. By holding onto the cables of the FreeMotion it forces your lower back to act as a primary stabilizer.
If you are ready to maximize your results, and really get the most benefit out of each and every machine inside our club, give us a call at 470-604-0038 to set up your free session!
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.