Upright rows were one of the exercises that helped me build large strong shoulders. This exercise not only builds your deltoids, but it also strengthen your traps giving your shoulders a good strong base to develop upon.
Primary Muscles Used
Upright Rows Instructions
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Grasp the barbell and allow it to hang in front of you at the length of your arms. Your palms should be facing your body and your hands in line with the thighs.
- Breathe in and brace the abdominals. Keep your back straight, chest up, and eyes focused forward.
- Lift the barbell up (toward the chin) as you exhale. Lead with the elbows and keep the bar close to the body.
- Pause at the top of the lift.
- Lower the barbell as you inhale, returning it to the starting position.
Benefits of Upright Rows
- This exercise is often used by bodybuilders who are targeting specific muscles. However, research indicates that the upright row can also be part of an effective strength training routine for others, such as a workout created for career firefighters
- All of these muscles help make lifting and pulling activities easier. This includes lifting grocery bags off the floor to place them on the counter, pulling your pants on while getting dressed, and other similar movements.
- The upright row works the front and middle heads of the deltoids (shoulder muscles). This exercise also helps build the trapezius and rhomboids (muscles in the middle and upper back), and even the biceps muscles (front of the upper arm).
- Upright rows are a great way to build your traps in a symmetrical way, not building them too large.
- This exercise is great for maintaining good posture.
If you are ready to maximize your results, and really get the most benefit out of each and every machine inside our club, give us a call at 470-604-0038 to set up your free session!
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.