Dips are a great exercise for the chest and tricep muscles. In addition to a great strengthening exercise, Dips also give a great stretch to your shoulders and chest. By adding additional weight to the exercise you are making it an even better mass builder.
Primary Muscles Used
Weighted Dips Instructions
- Most machines have the option of moving the handles wide or narrow.
- For the chest focus you want the grips on the wide setting, for a triceps focus you want the grips on the narrow setting.
- Use a belt with a chain and add either a plate or a dumbbell to add additional weight.
- Grab the handles firmly with a neutral grip, palms facing each other.
- Tighten your stomach and slowly raise your feet up off the platform so you are now supporting your bodyweight with your arms only.
- To increase the focus to your chest lean your torso over, so your body is at an approximately 60 degree angle, so your chest is over your hand placement. The easiest way to lean forward is by pulling your knees up to your stomach, then gravity will do the rest.
- To increase the focus on your triceps, keep your torso upright.
- Slowly lower yourself to a place where you feel a stretch in your chest and shoulders.
- Slowly raise yourself back up to your starting position.
Benefits of Weighted Dips
- Weighted dips strengthen the triceps muscles at the back of the upper arms as well as the deltoid muscles of the shoulders and primarily all the pectoralis muscles of the chest.
- The chest muscles are good for pushing as well as balancing out your posture.
- Dips are a great bodyweight movement, by performing dips you gain added benefit of feeling like you are lifting your bodyweight, giving you a sense of accomplishment and power.
- Performing dips in this fashion expand the ribcage allowing for deeper breaths and more oxygenation of the blood.
If you are ready to maximize your results, and really get the most benefit out of each and every machine inside our club, give us a call at 470-604-0038 to set up your free session!
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.