Talk about a great way to take a break after a hike up a mountain, split squats! My legs were already tired from the hike up, but adding a little leg work really gave me a great workout. When you are picking your own location to workout, you can choose any view that you want, the beach, a park, or on top of a mountain, the view can make a huge difference in how much you enjoy your workout, and if you enjoy it, you will probably keep doing it.
Primary Muscles Used
Split Squat Instructions
- Set TRX anchor to a position about shoulder height, either in a door, around a tree, or a vertical pole.
- If you don't have a TRX with you, you can use your heaviest exercise band, a few exercise bands together, or you could even hold onto a tree branch or rock.
- Grab the handles and take a few steps back so that your arms are totally strait.
- Bring one leg back so your knee on that leg is slightly behind your butt.
- While keeping most of the pressure on your front leg, tighten your core and bring your body strait down, keeping the knee on your front leg even with your ankle throughout the entire movement.
- Straiten your front leg to return to the starting position.
Tim's list of benefits for the Split Squat
- This is the best lower body exercise there is. It works every part of your lower body.
- As you are standing up on one leg, despite holding onto the straps, this requires a lot of balance, working stabilizers and bettering your own balance.
- TRX cables can travel with you anywhere.
- As you are doing each leg separately you are developing balance, training each leg one at a time making sure they develop at the same pace.
- If you are performing this exercise outdoors, like on top of Stone Mountain, the uneven ground makes this exercise even more effective as it requires additional balance.
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the full exercise list.