Precor Lat Pulldown Machine
The Precor lat pulldown is a great overall back exercise, while focusing on the latissimus dorsi, the lat pulldown also works the rhomboids and traps. This is a great exercise if you are trying to build up enough strength to do a pull-up as it has a very similar motion.
Primary Muscles Used
Precor Lat Pulldown Instructions
- Set the thigh pad up so it gives gentle pressure when seated.
- Grasp the bar with a wide grip with an overhand, palms down grip.
- Other positions and grips are possible, but start with this standard position.
- Pull the bar down towards your upper chest, not in front of you, until it's approximately level with the chin. Exhale on the downward motion. While shifting just slightly backward is OK, aim to keep your upper torso stationary. Keep your feet flat on the floor and engage your abs as you pull.
- The bottom of the motion should be where your elbows can't move downward any more without moving backward. Be sure to stop at that point and do not go lower.
- Squeeze the shoulder blades together while maintaining square shoulders.
- From the bottom position, with the bar close to your chin, slowly return the bar to the starting position while controlling its gradual ascent.
- At the top allow for your shoulders to stretch forward.
Benefits of the Precor Lat Pulldown Machine
- This exercise targets the latissimus dorsi, more commonly referred to as the lats, which on swimmers can actually resemble wings of sorts.
- It's important to target your back muscles to help with proper posture and to ease pulling movements, like opening a door, starting a winning a battle of tug of war, swimming, or even performing a pull-up.
- The Precor or any other version of the lat pulldown is a great way to build up back strength so you will be able to do a pull up. If you don't have an assisted pull up machine, this is another great option.
- The Precor Vitality line allows you to work multiple body parts on one machine, maximizing your space requirement.
- A wide back means your waist will look smaller, nuff said.
Are you ready to take your workouts to the next level? Are you interested in getting great recipe ideas? Do you want customized mindfulness excises and nutrition? We will set you up with your own custom program whether you workout in a gym, at your home, or anywhere in-between. Get real results, from a real expert! Click here to sign up!
Click here to go back to the exercise list.